Friday, December 30, 2011

[NH 101]: Soooo Not My Type...

Hey my loves! I've been wanting to post about Natural Hair Types since I started this blog, but found myself putting it off because I knew it would take a lot of work and research to do it the right way. There's a lot of information out there and although the internet is booming with self-proclaimed experts, you can't trust everything you read.

With that being said, I set out to do some in-depth research on natural hair types this morning. I'd tried doing this before but gave up when I felt it beoming overwhelming... it was frustrating not being able to find my 'lane' on this natural journey.

I've been through countless websites filled with drawings, descriptions, and pictures for comparison. After filtering through it all, I think I've finally found where I stand!! Natural Hair Typing is like reading the Bible; so many different interpretations and adaptations that it's hard to know what the 'real' truth is. So, if you've also found yourself amid a hair identity crisis, these resources may be helpful to you...


This is the first helpful chart I found through a Google search... It clearly defines the hair types by number.


This chart proved even more helpful because it includes pictures of celebrities for texture comparison. It also goes more in-depth into hair sub-types (some of which I read are not 'official' hair types).

Excited that I may actually be getting the hang of this hair-typing thing, I stumbled on to NaturallyCurly's 'Find Your Hair Type' system. Now I am sure that (most of) my hair is Types 4a/4b!

The Facts:
• Type 4 is kinky, or very tightly curled, with a clearly visible curl pattern

• Circumference: Crochet needle or even smaller

• The hair is very wiry, very tightly coiled and very, very fragile

• Type 4 hair can range from fine/thin to wiry/coarse with lots and lots of strands densely packed together

• Type 4 hair has fewer cuticle layers than any other hair type, which means that it has less natural protection from the damage you inflict by combing, brushing, curling, blow-drying and straightening it

• Type 4 hair is known to shrink up to 75% of the actual hair length

• There are two Type 4 subtypes:

•4a: Tightly coiled hair that, when stretched, has an "S" pattern, much like curly hair. It tends to have more moisture than 4b; has a definite curl pattern

•4a celebrities: Macy Gray, Monique Coleman, Leela James

•4b: Has a "Z" pattern, less of a defined curl pattern. Instead of curling or coiling, the hair bends in sharp angles like the letter "Z"; has a cotton-like feel

•4b celebrities: Esperanza Spalding, Jill Scott, Erykah Badu

Yuup, I think that pretty much describes the bush that is my hair.

This is the only texture shot I have on hand. I'll wash my hair this weekend and take a 4 month texture shot to update...

Finally I can get in where I fit in... Want more information on Natural Hair Types? Naturally Curly has a great system for identifying and learning new information on the natural hair types and sub-types.

So what's your type? Comment below!

2 comments:

Desert Flower ~ Tasha said...

This is my 1st time seeing this chart…I guess everyone has been right about my hair types…I thought for sure that one of my textures was a 4a but I guess i'm all in the 3a, 3b, and 3c but I can make it look like 4 something when I manipulate it a certain way.

Thanks for the chart!

Who is Mee Mahrii? said...

I agree, I think you're in the 3s... I love your hair! I love my hair! I just love being natural..

Post a Comment

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More

 
Design by Free WordPress Themes | Bloggerized by Lasantha - Premium Blogger Themes | Facebook Themes